Happy Birthday Keune! Celebrating 95 Years of Innovation
By Keune | October 11th, 2017
We got our start in 1922 in Amsterdam, when a young pharmacist named Jan Keune developed an innovative liquid perm formula. This made his company the first European manufacturer of this particular product. His son, George Keune and grandsons, George Keune Jr. and Eelco Keune, continue to build on his dreams. Today, in our 95th year as a family-owned and -operated brand, you’ll find Keune products and salon partners in more than 70 countries around the world. We are at your service!
Keune Milestones Over the Last 95 Years
Over the last 95 years, we have stayed true to our original mission of supporting independent salon owners and stylists through, first and foremost, high-quality, innovative products. Take a look at a few of our biggest product and expansion milestones over the last 95 years:
- In 1922, Founder Jan Keune focused on the development of perm formulas in Amsterdam and became the first perm formula manufacturer in Europe. Five years later, the production of Keune’s hot perm gained Dutch product recognition in hair salons worldwide for the first time. A cold perm formula launched much later, in 1951.
- In 1950, Keune introduced hairspray to the Dutch market and, because of its success, the company unveiled the first aerosol hairspray in Europe six years later.
- Global expansion began in 1972 with a new branch office opening in France.
- In 1977, Keune was one of the first companies in the world to introduce hair gel.
- Keune’s first professional color line, Tinta Color, launched in 1990, putting the company on a path to its current color-strong brand status.
- The Care line, a product range with essential minerals to ensure a healthy scalp and hair, was revealed in 1996.
- The North American market was established in 1998, with headquarters in Atlanta. Over the next few years, more global expansion ensued with office openings in Switzerland and Belgium.
- In 2002, Keune launched So Pure, a product line that boasts plant extracts and essential oils.
- Last year, Bond Fusion took the salon-professional market by storm with its innovative bond-building treatment that restructures the hair with high-quality ingredients and zero additional processing time.
- This year, we rolled out the modern, sleek BLEND hair styling line, where you can mix-and-match any product, as well as a whole new Care, enhancing the look, feel and offerings of the popular hair care line.
What’s In Store for the Next 95 Years?
Expansive growth. We will continue to invest big-time in product design and R&D innovation in our labs in Holland, as well as in our people and partners through education, ambassador programs, the Keune Loyalty Club and more. We’ll never stop listening to you, our customers, and evolving every aspect of our business to support you. Thank you for your interest and commitment to Keune! Cheers to a very happy 95th birthday.
A Special Keune Design Society Hairspray Extra Forte Can
In celebration of our 95th Anniversary, we have decorated our popular Keune Design Society Hairspray Extra Forte can with a special commemorative anniversary image. The artwork features a model adorned with a popular hairstyle from the 1920s, when the company was established. This fast-drying hairspray provides strong hold without buildup, making it perfect for special-occasion styling for the holidays. The ultra-dry formula also offers double protection against UV rays.
This month, we are offering salons this limited-edition hairspray at 50% savings! Purchase 1 Limited Edition Society Hairspray Extra Forte (400 ml) and get one free! Contact your distributor sales consultant for more details.